Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Halloween Fairy Cloche Tutorial + a Freebie!

Hi all! This month, the Eileen Hull Inspiration Team is sharing our projects using Eileen's cool new Twist and Style tool from Sizzix. Let me tell you, the minute you twist your first wire, you'll be addicted!

I've had a project like this on my mind for awhile - you know how much I love Eileen's Cupcake Stand die! - and thought the Twist and Style tool would be perfect for making the wire for the little cloche.

So cute! The little girl is from a photo postcard I found at an estate sale. I think she makes the perfect little witch. A few mini pumpkins and some die cuts and your scene is set. Follow along to see how to make one yourself.

First, let's create our cloche! Cut 5 pieces of wire (this is from the dollar store) 24" long. Bend in half and use the Twist & Style tool to twist. I counted and it took 25 revolutions to get it to look like this. It's good to count if you want them to all come out the same (if you're a perfectionist like some people!). When you're done, cut them all to a length of 10 3/4".

Find the center and wrap with thin wire.

Begin bending the pieces out like spokes.

Form the spokes into a cage. Connect the pieces using thin wire as shown above, trying to keep the spacing even.

Trim the ends, if necessary, and curl up with pliers.

Using the Cupcake Stand die, cut the pieces from medium weight chipboard and paint black. When dry, lightly sand the edges to give it a worn look. Ink edges with brown ink and assemble.

Now we'll create our little scene. Print out girl on cardstock and cut out. Adhere to lightweight chipboard and trim again (this will make her more sturdy). Ink edges and apply rub on words. Apply witch hat rub on to a scrap of kraft cardstock, cut out, and adhere to head. Cover die cut bat wings with black glitter and adhere to back when dry. Hot glue pumpkins and moss to base. Use a small piece of foam as a stand and adhere to base. Glue feet to stand. Cut out banners using the Cupcake Stand die and adhere to front as shown.

I'm so in love with my little witch fairy! If you aren't into Halloween, you could change up the colors and make it a fall decoration filled with little gourds and leaves. Or, add a little house and snow and make it a winter decoration. I plan to make one with a bird nest and flowers for a spring decor piece as well. There is no end to the different ways you could use this!

The supplies I used can be found at Sizzix, Simon Says Stamp, and Amazon via the links below.




I hope you enjoyed this project and are inspired to make one of your own - don't blame me if you can't stop making things from wire after you get your own Twist and Style tool! :) Be sure and check out Eileen's blog for more incredible projects from the team. You will be inspired, I promise!

You are welcome to download the photo I used for your own projects. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I love this Shelly! What a fun Halloween scene- and there are so many other ways and seasons you could take this. It's like she in Halloween jail 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a fabulous project!!!! i love this idea so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and creative Halloween Decoration Shelly! love the cloche you created to frame it all - so very clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing how you made your cloche Shelly, loved it when I saw it on Eileen's blog! And thank you for the adorable picture, what a cutie! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bat Girl! This is great - very creative and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, that is a beautiful example of what you can do with the Twist and Style tool. I like the addition of the cupcake stand as well. Your design stimulates many more possibilities. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I purchase the twist tool. Very fun. The project was fun for us to make. I was wondering if you could tell me what you used for bat wings. Thanks, debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it! I used Tim Holtz's bat from this set: http://www.sizzix.com/657458/sizzix-movers-shapers-magnetic-die-set-2pk-mini-bat-skull-set

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!