Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Karen Burniston Designer Challenge - Barns, Barns, Barns!

Hi everyone! Today's project for Karen Burniston's Designer Challenge is not at all what I had intended to share. The card I was working on just did not want to come together the way I had it in my mind. After struggling with it for it a bit, I decided to move on. While I was going through my papers, I spotted one of my favorites from Tim Holtz, and a little lightbulb went off - I could convert Karen's new Barn die into a birdhouse!

Here's how I did it:

Adhere paper to a thin piece of chipboard (I used a cereal box) using Elizabeth Craft Designs double-sided adhesive. Using the Barn die and the Small Circle die, cut the pieces for the house. Cut another piece of chipboard to the depth you'd like the house to be, and score 1/4" from the edges, and at each point where it will bend to fit the barn.

Next, paint the chipboard with Antique Linen Distress paint and make small cuts into the outer score line as shown.

Stamp the piece and ink the edges. Apply ECD 1/4" double-sided tape to the tabs and join the front and back pieces.

Create a bottom panel from another piece of thin chipboard and hot glue in place.

To finish the birdhouse, paint a wood candlestick with Brushed Sage Distress Paint and hot glue to bottom of house. Add a dowel as a perch. Stamp the bird from Tim Holtz's Nature Walk set and color with Distress Markers. Attach bird to house and add embellishments as shown.

All the supplies I used can be found at Elizabeth Craft Designs and Simon Says Stamp via the links below. The Barn Pop Stand set will be available any day now!




Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my adaptation of Karen's wonderful die. Be sure and check the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday for loads of inspiration from the team and a cool technique video from Karen.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, I am in awe!!! Love your birdhouse barn. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I love how you turned the barn die into a 3D birdhouse!

    I am also struck by the juxtaposition of the very inviting and cozy-looking home with the words "fly away" that you stamped on the front of the birdhouse. It's like a bittersweet metaphor about parenting. You "hope" (referencing the "hope" tag) that your children will successfully launch. The realities of "17" are always overhead to a teenager and his/her parents. And while the mother bird doesn't face the "fly away," she seems to sense it looming nearby.

    Very profound, Shelly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shelly -- this is just FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing...I LOVE you and your creative mind Shelly!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!