Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Eileen Hull Art with Heart Challenge

When I first saw Graphic 45's new Home Sweet Home collection, I knew they would be perfect with Eileen Hull's Vintage Kitchen dies. They're truly a match made in heaven! I decided to combine them, along with Eileen's Candy Drawer die, to create an easel card with drawers for this month's Art with Heart Challenge. I've made one of these before, but never with Eileen's drawer die. Since it's made from chipboard, it's so sturdy!

Here it is with the card portion closed. I love how much dimension the mat board and chipboard give the piece. I had a blast figuring out which papers and dies to use - and I even colored! Yes, I have finally been bitten by the copic bug and the new stamps from G45 were perfect for practicing my coloring. Here's a quick look at how this came together:

I began by cutting four boxes from Eileen's cream mat board and assembled them.

Next, I cut two pieces of mat board about 1/4" larger than the drawers and covered them with paper. I painted the edges and inside of the boxes with red paint and adhered the boxes to each other and to the mat board platform.

I covered the drawers with paper and added painted knobs and feet. 

Finally, I added my layers. The mixing bowl was cut from mat board that I first covered with paper. The 'home sweet home' was stamped on cream cardstock and then cut with one of Eileen's label dies. The frame was created the same way using Tim Holtz's Cameo Frame and Sized Oval dies.

For the focal image, I stamped the cabinet on white copic paper and then colored it with Spectrum Noir markers and cut it out. The woman was stamped and colored and her apron was paper pieced (I love that part!). The apples are also stamped and colored with markers. The little wooden spoon is actually the teaspoon from Eileen's Mug and Spoon die set. I adhered a sheet of cedar food wrap to mat board and then die cut it. I trimmed it down a bit to make it look more like a wooden spoon. So cute!

I love that this is actually sturdy enough to be used in the kitchen. You could store all kinds of stuff in there! I was even thinking you could add a clip to the top and it could hold recipe cards. How handy would that be?!

The supplies I used can be found at Sizzix, Simon Says Stamp, and Amazon via the links below. Unfortunately, the Candy Box die is no longer available at Sizzix (feel free to start a write in campaign to bring it back!), but you might be able to find one on eBay or another online source.





Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed my project. For more inspiration and to join in with the Art with Heart challenge, make sure you check out Eileen's blog!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Shelly, love the colouring, I can see you are enjoying this new venture. Love how you used the candy drawer die combined with the papers . Lovely piece . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous creation Shelly, I love the gorgeous papers and your little cabinet/cupboard is beautiful! The little feet are just perfect too. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a happy piece of art! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let the letter writing campaign begin! I absolutely love this project Shelly- the wooden spoon, the lady's apron, coloring the apples- amazing details- and then there's the engineering... Totally fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project!! When I first saw these Graphic 45 papers and stamps, I knew I had to have the whole set for making projects for the farm kitchen I am in the process of restoring. So I have them and I am pretty sure that I have the candy box die (probably due to one of your past inspirational projects). When I first looked at this I thought of a recipe card stand so will probably make some alterations to work for that. Love your projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so fabulous. Fascinating to see how it's made. I pinned. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/415386765611743647/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!