Friday, November 25, 2011

A Frosty Jar and a Coupon!

Hi everyone! Now that Thanksgiving is over, I don't feel one bit guilty about sharing a Christmas project! I worked on this last week and just put the finishing touches on it today and I am in LOVE. Do you ever have one of those projects that actually turns out better than you'd imagined? That's what happened with my snowman. I was inspired by Hels' Frosty the Snowman theme for Sunday Stampers - I'm a little slow, but I finally got it done!

I'd been saving this jar for some time (I am a horrible pack rat!). I came across it while looking through some cupboards and a little light went off! I'd just seen some of Sue Pelletier's original altered snowman bottles and decided to make one with a little scene in it. Oh...I am so in love with this, lol!

I thought that it would look neat to use the large background stamp from Tim Holtz's Seasonal Silhouettes as a background. So, I stamped it on acetate with a Juniper Dabber and inserted it into the jar - I love that it just disappears! I added a little bleached tree (check out this great tutorial from Terri!) and a little glittered deer that I cut from chipboard with the Sizzix Movers and Shapers Mini Reindeer and 25 die (no longer available). After they were in place, I sprinkled some snow and added a few vintage mercury balls and some pearl beads.

The head was created from a styrofoam ball. I squished it up a little and painted it with a layer of gesso. When that was dry, I painted the whole thing with Ranger Picket Fence Distress Crackle paint. If you look reaaaally closely, you can see the cracks. Very cool! I wasn't sure if it would work or not and I love how it came out. The bits for the eyes and mouth are actually the holly berries from Tim's Festive Greenery strip die. Cut from black cardstock, they make perfect little 'rocks'! The nose was fashioned from a rolled piece of Kraft Core'dinations. The hat is made from a piece paper from the Idea-ology Lost and Found paper pack. It was embellished with a little bleached wreath and seam binding that was tinted with the new Evergreen Bough ink from the Limited EditionWinter Distress set.

Oooooh, one of my favorite parts! The silver trim was created by cutting white cardstock using the Sizzix Vintage Lace die. I painted it with a silver Dabber and then coated with with silver glitter. So pretty! The lid underneath was painted with a Juniper Dabber - I love that shade of green. My snowman's scarf is seam binding that was dyed with Vintage Linen Distress Stain.

Finally, I added these little jingle bells that I found at Hobby Lobby. I coated them with a little chunky glitter to give them an icy look. I'm also sharing this over at Terri's Deck the Halls Sunday - make sure you pop over, there are some great projects!

UPDATE 12/1/16 - I'm slowing going back through some of my older posts and redoing the links, since some of the products and businesses are no longer available/in business. I'll try to link to similar products and, if the product is no longer available, let you know that as well. Thanks!





Thanks so much for stopping by - enjoy your weekend! :-)

32 comments:

  1. Shelly....this is beautiful. I particularly like the bottle brush trees....can I ask where you get them? I can't find any anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... BREATHTAKINGLY AMAZING.... all those details, it is just beyond GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for joining in with teh Sunday Stamper and... for sharing this gem with us x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous piece Shelly, I love the snowman and the whole jar is a fabulous idea. Beautifully embellished. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE your snowman jar...I just bought some styrofoam balls to do the snowmans, and will have to try a few jars now...You continue to amaze me Shelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing....what a great feel you've achieved with the finished piece. I love the bleached trees. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!
    Love all the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great and gorgeous creation!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh,Shelly, everything you do is so perfect. You snowman is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I think we will all be making these now!!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelly this is beautiful...I found myself shivering as I looked at it...delightfully frosty! your details are amazing...the snow on the bells, the tree WOW !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waht a lovely idea - it looks so good. No wonder you were pleased x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What can I say? Truly lovely piece, I am off looking for jars now! Thank you for sharing such a seasonal gem x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Shelly! He's adorable. Your talents never, ever cease to amaze me:)
    Best Wishes,
    Debbie Kaste

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my GOSH! This snowman is positively stunning. tvmfs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl! You totally ROCKED this gorgeous smowman!!! I LOVE IT!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, sooo PRETTY! I'm in love too...the whole thing turned out just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Shelly, your jar is fantastic! I saw that article too with Sue's creations... what an inspiration. You have so many wonderful details here. I love how you used the lace die on the silver paper... it's a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so adorable! I love all of the little details! Yes, this jar has put me into the Christmas mood! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic project! Love all the details; acetate stamping, chunky glitter, bleached tree. Thanks for the links.
    Alison J

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm into domes, still. But this jar is really cute. So many steps and creative use of material, impossible to pic a favorite technique (tho the stamped acetate sheet is really cool). I share your excitement with Tim's 12 tags. He tells us that he creates them last minute, just like the rest of us mortals do. Aren't we lucky to have him in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dang girl! You are on fire. Your creations look AMAZING!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shelly...this is so stinkin' cute!! For someone who was worried about losing their Mojo...you needent worry! Your work is just wonderful! I love them all...so vintage and fun! Thanks for sharing how you did this! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of this! What a great way to use all those Mason jars I don't fill with preserves anymore (LOL)!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How do you stick the icy glitter to his head? I see it again in the canning lid ornaments too...I have tried but I can't get the same effect :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lil, I just covered the whole thing with Ranger's Glue 'n Seal and then poured the glitter over it. Any white glue should work! Let me know if that works for you.

      Delete
  25. LOVE LOVE LOVE this darling jar and snowman.....how adorable is he ?!? TFS !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love!!!!! What type of chunky glitter is that? I love it and cant seem to find anything similar! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I used very cheap glitter that came in a tube from Walmart or Michael's. Definitely not anything fancy or expensive. I'll see if I can find something similar on Amazon to link to.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! This is a beautiful project!

      Delete
  27. I just saw this on Pinterest and had to come over here and see it more closely. I LOVE IT. Nicely done. I need to make some.
    diane @ thoughts&shots

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!