Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Grungy Monday #19

I had so much fun creating this little ornament/hanging for the Grungy Monday challenge. Our inspiration was this tag from Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of Christmas. I just received the Fancy Frames Texture Fade and was dying to use it. I had an idea that it would really well as a 'window' using the clear packaging, but after that, I was stumped!

After a bit of tinkering, I decided to emboss my packaging, cut out the frame, and then cover it with silver Adirondack Paint Dabber. It needed something more, so I brushed on some of Claudine's Matte Medium and glittered it up!

To create the background, I embossed a piece of white cardstock using the same folder - but this time I used one of the Reflections stamps. Ooooh, it looks so cool! After seeing Stephen's fantastic card a couple weeks ago, I immediately knew I had to have both the stamps and the folders. Thanks, for the inspiraton, Stephen! :-)

After I trimmed the frame, I spritzed it with some homemade glimmer mist (made using Tim Holtz's recipe). I wish the shimmer showed up - it is too pretty. Next, I added a sweet little banner and some fantastic rubber stamps from Artistic Outpost. I created a little 'frost' around the edge of the frame using an Adirondack Snow Cap Dabber. The two pieces were glued together using more Matte Medium. Once it was dry, I added a ribbon (dyed using Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain), and a sweet little Idea-ology Mini Tassel.

The pictures simply do not do this justice! I can imagine a whole sparkling tree covered in these at Christmas. I think I am going to be wearing this Texture Fade out, for sure!

By the way, don't forget the paint challenge over at Inspiration Emporium. We would love to see your work. While you're checking out the store, make sure you take a peek at the 'Coming Soon' section; IE is now carrying Artistic Outpost rubber stamps. You can get all your goodies in one fantastic place!

Below is a list of everything I used in my ornament - I hope you're inspired to try one as well.

Supply List:
Rubber Stamps: Artistic Outpost - Birds of Feather, Songbirds; Tim Holtz - Reflections
Ink: Distress Ink - Tumbled Glass, Brushed Corduroy; Archival Ink - Jet Black, Distress Reinker - Tumbled Glass
Texture Fade: Sizzix - Fancy & Floral Frames Set
Die: Sizzix - Pennants
Adhesives: Claudine Hellmuth Studio Matte Medium
Glitter: Crafty Sparkles Platinum
Paint: Adirondack Dabber - Snow Cap, Silver
Embellishments: Idea-ology Mini Tassels

13 comments:

  1. It a really great ornament and I so love the background, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another AMAZING piece of work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouuu! Your vision of dozens of these beautiful twinkling and shimmering ornaments on a Christmas tree is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a clever idea and use of the technique! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece Shelly! Love the glittered edges. It would be an awesome decoration (& added gift) tied onto a Christmas package!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Shelly! Love the sentiment and the little flag banner. Sweet elements for this special ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing as always. I have this texture fade and I can't wait to try this out! But that's after my white crackle gets here and I try out your porcelain technique. I am so hooked on your tarnished silver technique, I'm experimenting with multi layer embossing on everything! Thanks so much for sharing Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Utterly beautiful! I love the contrast of the peachy ribbon & that lovely blue Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is gorgeous (all your work is)...I love the sweet sparkle along the border!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a pwetty hanging. Very lush!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!